August22 , 2026

    ‘Diversion of ships has its costs’: Jaishankar says Houthi attack in Red Sea will hit India’s energy, economy

    Related

    Cochin Shipyard Delivers ‘Mangrol’, Third ASW Shallow Water Craft to Indian Navy

    Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) has delivered ‘Mangrol’, the third...

    Kamarajar Port Floats ₹4,288-Crore Tender for Second Container Terminal

    Kamarajar Port Limited (KPL) has invited bids for the...

    Chennai Port Handles Record 19,300 Vehicles in Monthly Automotive Export Milestone

    Chennai Port has marked a significant milestone in India’s...

    Kandla Green Hydrogen Conclave 2026 Highlights India’s Green Maritime Ambitions

    Deendayal Port Authority (DPA), Kandla, organised the Kandla Green...

    Share

    Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthis, who were the latest to join the Israel-Hamas war, have been attacking ships, which are either Israel owned or heading to Israeli ports, in the Red Sea, leading to a direct confrontation with the US, whose cargo ship was destroyed by the rebel group in the Gulf of Aden on Monday.

    The Red Sea connects the Indian Ocean to the Mediterranean by Suez Canal.

    When spoke with external affairs minister S Jaishankar about the issue at large and why were the vessels being targeted by the Houthis, he said, “We have multiple phenomena out there… we had piracy, resurfacing of piracy. That’s a different problem. The drone strikes and missile strikes are different problems… so both factors are important but the second one is more. It (the issue) has started to divert shipping and that has its cost”. He further said such attacks would impact India’s energy and economic interests. He stressed that the issue should be “speedily addressed”.

    Several shipping lines have announced that they are diverting round the Cape of Good Hope to reach Europe after Houthis are hitting vessels in the Red Sea. The latest one was the Greek-owned bulk carrier Zograflia from Vietnam to Israel, which was struck by Houthis on January 17.

    Jaishankar, who was on an official visit to Iran, met President Ebrahim Raisi on January 16 regarding speeding up the implementation of bilateral agreements, including the Chabahar Port Development Plan.

    Raisi highlighted importance of Iran-India ties, but raised concerns regarding Israel’s counter offensive in Gaza, and urged India to help in ending the bombings.

    “The President described the crimes committed by Zionist regime in Gaza as clear examples of war crimes and crimes against humanity, and clarified stopping the attacks on Gaza, punishing the Zionist regime and fulfilling the rights of Palestinian people is the only way to return stability and security to the region. It is important for India to play a role in ending the bombings, lifting the blockade of this region and realising the rights of the Palestinian people,” Raisi’s statement said.

    According to The Wall Street Journal, British oil giant Shell on Tuesday announced suspending all of its shipment through the Red Sea infinitely.

    US and British warplanes, ships and submarines last week launched dozens of air strikes across Yemen in retaliation to Houthi attack on Red Sea shipping, which the Iran-backed movement considers as a response to Israel’s offensive in Gaza.