August19 , 2026

    Russia says terrorist attack sunk cargo ship ‘Ursa Major’

    Related

    Vizhinjam Gets Rs 16000 Crore Expansion

    Vizhinjam International Seaport begins full-scale EXIM operations as the...

    JNPA, Port of Antwerp-Bruges Launch Training Programme on Smart Port Technologies

    Jawaharlal Nehru Port Authority (JNPA), in collaboration with the...

    V.O. Chidambaranar Port Records 277% Growth in Iron and Steel Cargo Handling

    V.O. Chidambaranar Port Authority (VOCPA) has recorded an impressive...

    India Sets October 31 Deadline to Clear Stalled Port Containers

    The Indian government has launched a special nationwide drive...

    Share

    A Russian cargo ship that ran into troubleon Monday in the Mediterranean Sea and later sank was rocked by a series of three explosions in “an act of terrorism,” state news agency RIA cited the vessel’s owner as saying on Wednesday.

    Russia’s Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday that the “Ursa Major,” built in 2009, sank after an explosion ripped through its engine room and that two of its 16 crew were missing.

    RIA cited Oboronlogistika, the ship’s ultimate owner and a company that is part of the Russian Defence Ministry’s military construction operations, as saying on Wednesday that the vessel had been targeted in “a terrorist act.”

    It cited Oboronlogistika as saying that the ship’s surviving 14 crew members had reported that three consecutive explosions on the ship’s starboard side had detonated at 1350 Moscow time (1050 GMT) in the vessel’s aft on Dec. 23.

    The ship had then begun to sharply list as it was obviously taking in water, RIA cited Oboronlogistika as saying. The ship was not overloaded, it added.

    It was carrying two giant port cranes on its deck with their loading buckets, two heavy hatch covers for ice-breaking vessels, 129 empty containers, and a 20-foot container with roofing equipment, RIA said.

    Oboronlogistika had said that the ship had been en route to the Russian far eastern port of Vladivostok.

    Oboronlogistika and SK-Yug, a company LSEG lists as part of the group and the ship’s direct owner and operator, declined to comment on the sinking at the time. Both entities were placed under sanctions by the United States in 2022 for their ties to Russia’s military as was the Ursa Major itself.

    Spain’s Maritime Rescue Service said it had received a distress signal from the Ursa Major on Monday when it was located about 57 miles off the coast of Almeira.

    Two vessels and a helicopter had been sent to the scene and the 14 surviving crew members taken to the Spanish port of Cartagena.

    LSEG ship tracking data shows the vessel departed from the Russian port of St. Petersburg on Dec. 11 and was last seen sending a signal at 2204 GMT on Monday between Algeria and Spain where it sank.

    On leaving St. Petersburg it had indicated that its next port of call was the Russian port of Vladivostok, not the Syrian port of Tartous which it has called at in the past.